Growing up, I don’t recall ever going to summer camp. I remember staying home with a sitter or family member. We would also do some travelling to Canada, DC, East Harbor and maybe to Minnesota occasionally. But camp is not something I recall.
For those of you that don’t do the camp thing, here are some ideas to consider to help fill these short summer days.
Monday – What a great way to start the week off when a cultural excursion to your local museum? During the school year, most museums are closed each Monday, but not during the summer.
- Science Museum of Long Island
- Valley Stream Historical Society
- Cradle of Aviation
- Firefighters Museum
- Garvies Point Museum & Preserve
Tuesday – It’s a great day experience something adventurous, don’t you think? Long Island has a great assortment of fun outdoor activities such as:
- Amusement Parks
- Ice Cream Parlors
Wednesday – Let’s get wet Wednesday is perfect for a midweek swim if you’re not into swimming daily. Try one of these fun places in your very own neighborhood or anywhere on the island:
- Sprinkler Parks
- Local, Town, and County Pools
- Long Island Beaches
- Splish Splash Water Park
- Paddle boarding and canoeing
Thursday – Did you know that Eisenhower Park has a summer schedule filled with fun films for kids? The schedule varies with shows scheduled for various nights of the week. Other activities this summer at Eisenhower include:
Friday – Children’s Theatrical performances vary throughout the week. Here are some planned for the season:
- Plaza Theatrical Theatre – Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, Snow White, Rapunzel
- Broadhollow Theatre – Magic of Alexo, Madagascar, Cindrella are all playing this summer
- Long Island Children’s Theatre – Gustafer’s Yellow Gold, Sing Along with Nappy’s Puppets, Lucky Diaz and the Family Band, and Shiver Me Patterns
Saturday – Park it! If you elect not to spend a day at the beach today, you can enjoy a picnic at anyone of these Long Island parks also perfect for relaxing, biking, hiking, or kicking a ball around.
Sunday – Take this day to relax because Monday will be here before you know it.
Join my list and grab a free copy of the VS Mom's Kid's Guide
Subscribe and receive your FREE VS Mom's Kid's Guide filled with important information for you and your family.