Growing up, I don’t recall ever going to summer camp. I remember staying home with a sitter or family member. We would also do some travelling to Canada, DC, East Harbor and maybe to Minnesota occasionally. But camp is not something I recall.
For those of you that don’t do the camp thing, here are some ideas to consider to help fill these short summer days.
Monday – What a great way to start the week off when a cultural excursion to your local museum? During the school year, most museums are closed each Monday, but not during the summer.
- Science Museum of Long Island
- Valley Stream Historical Society
- Cradle of Aviation
- Firefighters Museum
- Garvies Point Museum & Preserve
Tuesday – It’s a great day experience something adventurous, don’t you think? Long Island has a great assortment of fun outdoor activities such as:
- Amusement Parks
- Ice Cream Parlors
Wednesday – Let’s get wet Wednesday is perfect for a midweek swim if you’re not into swimming daily. Try one of these fun places in your very own neighborhood or anywhere on the island:
- Sprinkler Parks
- Local, Town, and County Pools
- Long Island Beaches
- Splish Splash Water Park
- Paddle boarding and canoeing
Thursday – Did you know that Eisenhower Park has a summer schedule filled with fun films for kids? The schedule varies with shows scheduled for various nights of the week. Other activities this summer at Eisenhower include:
Friday – Children’s Theatrical performances vary throughout the week. Here are some planned for the season:
- Plaza Theatrical Theatre – Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, Snow White, Rapunzel
- Broadhollow Theatre – Magic of Alexo, Madagascar, Cindrella are all playing this summer
- Long Island Children’s Theatre – Gustafer’s Yellow Gold, Sing Along with Nappy’s Puppets, Lucky Diaz and the Family Band, and Shiver Me Patterns
Saturday – Park it! If you elect not to spend a day at the beach today, you can enjoy a picnic at anyone of these Long Island parks also perfect for relaxing, biking, hiking, or kicking a ball around.
Sunday – Take this day to relax because Monday will be here before you know it.
Subscribe and receive your FREE VS Mom's Kid's Guide filled with important information for you and your family.